An Introduction to Core Skills for Leaders (NEW)
Full course description
Who is this training package for?
School leaders who want to learn more about the six core skills for students and how to integrate core skills teaching and learning into their leadership practice.
What will it cover?
Learn about the six core skills that research shows are essential for preparing young people to live and work in today’s globalised economy:
- critical thinking and problem solving
- collaboration and communication
- digital literacy
- creativity and imagination
- student leadership and personal development.
The aim of the course is to analyse current practice in your school through the lens of core skills and learn about and plan ways of integrating the teaching and learning of core skills into everyday practice.
As well as the six core skills listed above, this course encourages you to think about ways of developing an enterprising mindset across your school. An enterprising mindset, focused on identifying problems and opportunities and working constructively towards improvement, is developed through the application of subject learning and core skills to real world situations and environments.
What will I take away?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- explain what core skills are and why they're important in quality learning
- identify differences between surface learning and deep learning
- recognise that core skills don't replace knowledge, but can be integrated into all student learning, inside and outside the classroom
- explain the key idea of Bloom’s taxonomy, and identify and generate questions to develop critical thinking, problem solving, creativity and imagination
- analyse communication and collaboration patterns in your classrooms and establish and use ground rules for collaborative group work
- assess digital literacy skills in your school and discuss an issue related to digital literacy in your school.
You will also design a project to improve an aspect of your leadership practice, your students’ learning, or your school environment. The process of designing and implementing the project will use all the core skills in a way that promotes enterprise thinking.
This course is self-paced so you can take as little or as long as you like to complete it. Ideally, we recommend that the course should take approximately 4 weeks in total and would be structured as follows:
Online study: two weeks (four or five hours of study per week)
School-based activities: two weeks
Please note, you will need to use one of the following web browsers to access the training package:
- Chrome 79 and 80
- Firefox 72 and 73
- Edge 79 and 80
- Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Safari 12 and 13 (Macintosh only)
- Flash (for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
You may start this training package at any time.