Full course description
What does Teacher as a Researcher mean?
This refers to teachers who research and explore best teaching practices in different settings in order to develop their skills and create a personal culture of continuous improvement and innovation in their classroom.
Who is this training package for?
School teachers who are intending to undertake a study visit to another school setting in order to develop their professional practice and be of benefit to their own schools.
What will it cover?
Combining theory and practical examples, this training package will help you consider the role of the teacher as researcher with particular reference to study visit; understand Appreciative Inquiry (AI) as a valuable tool for the teacher-researcher; and experience, apply and reflect on the effective use of AI in comparing educational practices, including one’s own
What will it teach me about being a researcher?
- Comparative studies in education
- Practical approaches for comparative studies
- Using appreciative inquiry
- The potential of appreciative methodologies
What will I take away?
The training package will give you the confidence to learn from study visits in a deeper and more impacting manner. It will provide guidelines for conducting school-based research, appreciate enquiry, and positive questioning techniques to create an environment of constructive learning and feedback.
Before accessing this training package, please register with British Council Schools Online.
- Total time: 2-4 weeks (Online study and School-based activities)
Before starting, we recommend you find a learning partner who can offer you support and advice throughout the training course. This could be an existing colleague who you can meet with regularly to discuss your progress.
Please note: You will need to use one of the following web browsers to access the training package:
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11 (Edge support begins September 28; IE 10 will be discontinued on November 21)
- Chrome 44 and 45
- Safari 7 and 8
- Firefox 39 and 40 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 17 and 18 (for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)