Full course description
Developing active, globally aware citizens who have the skills, knowledge and motivation to address issues of human and environmental sustainability and work towards a fairer world in a spirit of mutual respect and open dialogue; developing an understanding of what it means to be a citizen of their own country and their own country’s values.
Who is this training package for?
School teachers who want to discover the most effective ways of teaching citizenship skills in the classroom.
What will it cover?
Combining theory and practical examples, this training package will help you gain a clear understanding of citizenship skills and why they are important for today’s young people. You will explore ways in which citizenship can be taught and develop techniques for embedding citizenship in your curriculum.
What will it teach me about citizenship skills?
· What they are and why they are important
· Ways in which they can be taught in the classroom
· How to identify opportunities for developing them at your school
· How to embed them within the curriculum using leadership and self-evaluation techniques.
What will I take away?
The training package supports you to deliver a classroom activity related to citizenship through school-based projects, and will provide a framework and tools for action planning at your school.
It will help you identify values in school policy and practice, identify citizenship in the curriculum and wider school life, and develop techniques for embedding citizenship within the curriculum.
Before accessing this training package, please register with British Council Schools Online.
- Online study one: 4 weeks (4/5 hours study per week)
- School-based activities: 10 - 12 weeks
- Online study two: 2 weeks (4/5 hours study per week)
Before starting, we recommend you find a learning partner who can offer you support and advice throughout the training course. This could be an existing colleague who you can meet with regularly to discuss your progress.
Please note: You will need to use one of the following web browsers to access the training package:
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11 (Edge support begins September 28; IE 10 will be discontinued on November 21)
- Chrome 44 and 45
- Safari 7 and 8
- Firefox 39 and 40 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 17 and 18 (for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)