Full course description
What are critical thinking and problem solving skills?
Promoting self-directed thinking that produces new and innovative ideas and solves problems; reflecting critically on learning experiences and processes and making effective decisions.
Who is this training package for?
School teachers who want to discover the most effective ways of teaching critical thinking and problem solving skills in the classroom.
What will it cover?
Combining theory and practical examples, this training package will help you gain a clear understanding of what critical thinking and problem solving skills are and why they are important for today’s young people. It will introduce you to the best strategies for developing these skills in your students and for embedding them in the curriculum.
What will it teach me about critical thinking and problem solving skills?
· What they are and why they are important
· How they can be taught and assessed
· How to identify opportunities for integrating them in your school
· How to use leadership, project management and self-evaluation techniques to embed them into your practice.
What will I take away?
The training package will enable you to improve three key teaching practices in relation to critical thinking and problem solving skills:
· asking questions to develop deeper thinking and check for understanding
· modelling how to think critically and solve problems
· providing systematic feedback and corrections.
The training package also provides a set of structured school-based activities for you to put your learning into practice and to reflect on the outcomes.
Before accessing this training package, please register with British Council Schools Online.
· Online study – 8-10 hours
· Optional reading – 4 hours
· School-based activities – at least 4 weeks (non-consecutive)
Before starting, we recommend you find a learning partner who can offer you support and advice throughout the training course. This could be an existing colleague who you can meet with regularly to discuss your progress.
Please note: You will need to use one of the following web browsers to access the training package:
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11 (Edge support begins September 28; IE 10 will be discontinued on November 21)
- Chrome 44 and 45
- Safari 7 and 8
- Firefox 39 and 40 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 17 and 18 (for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)