Full course description
What are student leadership and personal development skills?
Recognising the importance of honesty and empathy; recognising others’ needs and safety; fostering perseverance, resilience and self-confidence; exploring leadership, self-regulation and responsibility, personal health and wellbeing, career and life skills; learning to learn and life-long learning.
Who is this training package for?
School teachers who want to discover the most effective ways of teaching student leadership and personal development skills in the classroom.
What will it cover?
Combining theory and practical examples, this training package will help you gain a clear understanding of student leadership and personal development skills and why they are important for today’s young people. You will learn strategies to nurture and develop the leadership capacities of your students and how to plan projects that promote leadership in learning.
What will it teach me about student leadership and personal development skills?
· What they are and why they are important
· How to plan projects and lessons that promote them in learning
· How to enable students to lead in a range of different contexts and purposes, both in and out of school
· How to nurture leadership in yourself, in pupils and with colleagues.
What will I take away?
This training package will help you to understand the value of student leadership and personal development as a core learning skill. It will enable you to relate leadership scenarios in school to real-world challenges and to explore where leadership development opportunities may exist for you and your students.
Before accessing this training package, please register with British Council Schools Online.
· Online study – 8-10 hours
· Optional reading – 4 hours
· School-based activities – at least 4 weeks (non-consecutive)
Before starting, we recommend you find a learning partner who can offer you support and advice throughout the training course. This could be an existing colleague who you can meet with regularly to discuss your progress.
Please note: You will need to use one of the following web browsers to access the training package:
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11 (Edge support begins September 28; IE 10 will be discontinued on November 21)
- Chrome 44 and 45
- Safari 7 and 8
- Firefox 39 and 40 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 17 and 18 (for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)