Full course description
Who is this training package for?
School teachers who want to learn more about the six core skills for students, how to introduce them in the classroom, and how to embed them within the curriculum.
What will it cover?
Learn about the six core skills that research shows are essential for preparing young people to live and work in today’s globalised economy:
- critical thinking and problem solving
- collaboration and communication
- digital literacy
- creativity and imagination
- student leadership and personal development.
The training package explores the importance of the core skills within an educational context. It also looks at the practical teaching approaches and techniques to help you introduce them in the classroom and to begin to embed them within the curriculum.
What will it teach me about core skills?
- What they are and how they apply to real life
- Why they are essential for students
- How to make space for them in the curriculum
- How to introduce them to your students through practical teaching approaches
- How to develop ways for evaluating how well your students have developed their understanding
- How to gain support from other teachers, headteachers and parents to embed them within the curriculum.
The training package will also introduce the idea of a ‘plan – teach – reflect’ cycle and will give you the opportunity to develop activity plans for you to use with your students.
What will I take away?
The training package will introduce you to a number of interactive teaching approaches to help you introduce core skills in the classroom:
- Questioning strategies and techniques
- Using classroom communication to promote learning
- Planning group work and online discussions
- Choosing appropriate ‘talking points’ and stimulus material
- Identifying leaders and learners.
The training package also provides a set of structured school-based activities for you to put your learning into practice and to reflect on the outcomes.
Before accessing this training package, please register with British Council Schools Online.
- Online study – 2 weeks (4/5 hours study per week)
- School-based activities: 4 weeks
Before starting, we recommend you find a learning partner who can offer you support and advice throughout the training course. This could be an existing colleague who you can meet with regularly to discuss your progress.
Please note: You will need to use one of the following web browsers to access the training package:
- Internet Explorer 10 and 11 (Edge support begins September 28; IE 10 will be discontinued on November 21)
- Chrome 44 and 45
- Safari 7 and 8
- Firefox 39 and 40 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 17 and 18 (for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
You may start this training package at any time.